Friday, March 06, 2009

R.I.P Barney 5/2008-3/5/2009 (We Will Miss You)










I found Barney on the side of the road in May last year, he was very small, we guessed his age to be around 4 to 5 weeks old. He was an awkward looking little thing but absolutely fearless. He was sweet and affectionate and we grew to love him quickly. Growing up with 5 dogs and a litter of puppies at the time I believe he thought of himself as a dog too. He was amazingly wonderful with Madi from the time he was a tiny little kitten and he and Ford had a great time playing together.

On March 4th we noticed he didn't come back in the evening like usual, we went looking for him. we called him and checked all the likely places, with no luck.
On March 5th I made a few flyers offering a reward for information on his whereabouts and Dave combed the property, including the roof and trees and even the fire station. Still no sign of Barney. We were all really sad because we missed him but also because we had no idea what had happened to him.
Around 9:15 I went outside to run to IGA to buy some milk and as soon as I went outside I heard a distinct garbled meow, then another one, and then again. It was just enough that I could tell it was coming from the roof. I scaled the hand rail and held on to the gutter and sure enough it was Barney at the peak of the roof just above the office. I knew right away he was not OK. It took about 10 minutes for me to coax him down near the edge of the roof so I could actually touch him. He was clearly struggling to breathe and he was very cold, but he laid there at the edge while I stroked him and talked to him.
I was able to yell for Hailey and she retreived the ladder from the barn. I climbed the ladder and handed him down to her to take inside. We had just gotten inside when Dave got home, he was at first thrilled to see we had found Barney but soon realized by the look on our faces it was not good. There was absolutely no signs of abraisions on the outsied but his right front shoulder seemed dislocated, it sat much lower than the left and he was unable to put any weight on it. His breathing was ragged and he was bleeding through his mouth.
We all sat with him by the fire to warm him, even the dogs, we were all sad because we knew he wasnt going to make it. At 10:15 Dave took him to the emergency vet where they examined him and ultimately euthanized him to end his suffering. They said he had massive contusions to his chest which caused his lungs to fill with blood and would have made any attempt to save him very unlikely.
We have no idea how he was injured and how he managed to show up on the roof while he was barely able to walk or breathe. We are grateful that he somehow made it home so we were able to have some peace and say goodbye.
I think he knew how much we all loved him. He was an amazing cat and we will miss him more than you can imagine.

2 comments:

Pat and Lee said...

Oh, Honey! We are so, so sorry, and so sad for all of you. Barney was a very special cat, and even though his life was short, it was longer than it would have been if you hadn't rescued him from certain death on the side of the road. He was definitely loved, definitely thought he was a dog, and he was the perfect cat for all of you. I know how much you will miss him, and I am so glad that he came back to you, so that you could be with him and say good-bye - that's really important.
We love you all, lots and lots, and we wish we were there to give you all big hugs and be sad with you.
Love,
Mom & Lee

Cathi said...

I'm so sorry! What a sad but amazing story. I'm glad you were able to say goodbye. May Barney rest in peace.
Love,
Cathi